FAPS creates innovations through the integration of knowledge from various disciplines, in particular:
- The specialized disciplines in mechanical, electric/electronics, information technology, bionics and optics;
- Levels of integration from the components to the system;
- Automation components such as controllers, sensors and actuators;
- The entire product life cycle, from concepts, through to development, production, use and recycling;
- Through university research and teaching, industry collaboration, technology transfer and the founding of new companies;
- Through the human-machine interaction;
- Through sustainable and efficient methods of production, distribution, usage, storage and reuse of resources.